Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3/8 Tuesday - Update

My employee benefit of Legal Assistance Services has provided me with an attorney contact....We talked briefly about situation and he is checking with another attorney on getting case numbers and some other info for me.  He will call back. 

I asked him about setting up a Power of Attorney (POA) for making health care decisions FOR Kameron or on his behalf...as my family and I believe that if this in place and Kameron remains unstable, then I can speak for him and have more control on what happens next.  For a good part of the morning I worked on setting up a POA for Kameron to present to him and see what he thought about signing this. 

I talked to nurse today and she said Kam's meds were adjusted again.  She said I could call him as he was not with dr at that time or in a group - I called and Kam sounded very irritated - he said WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  I said - just calling to check on you honey, how are you today?  He very abruptly says - DON'T CALL ME HERE!  I said - why?  whats wrong Kameron?  He says - JUST STOP CALLING ME HERE!  I said - can I come and see you?  He says - YES and hung up.  Later I learned that he had to be medicated around this time.  I am not sure the extent of his behavior but if it was more of what I heard on the phone, I believe that he could have been talked down through this instead.  

Tuesday night I went to see Kameron. I actually did see KAMERON!
He stood right up and hugged me. A few times he said he was feeling a panic attack coming on so I encouraged him to breath and calm down...we talked about light subjects for a while and he calmed. He recognized a nurse walking by and called out, "Jenny" She turned to him and he said, "you were my nurse" . She thought for a minute and said - yes, I was when you were in the ER (that was the first day - wed!!) My mouth dropped that he remembered her NAME and recognized her and could recall anything from that time. She was surprised too and said he looked much better.


He was overall good - still some foggy confusion issues but not at all like I have seen over the past several days. He and I talked about how he is feeling trapped - not sure he is in the right place anymore as he cannot relate to other patients, there is no activity and he feels like his mind is clear. Because of the Order of Protective Custody he feels like he is even more trapped - which makes him almost like a caged animal at times where he pounds on the nurses station door and gets very angry. He got up a couple times while we talked and knocked on the door to the nurses station. When he came back I asked why he does that...he said because I need to talk to a nurse and no one talks to me!


I told him about the court hearing coming up and explained the Power of Attorney - he said where's the pen? I explained that we need 2 witnesses and a notary and that we need help from a nurse or doctor to get it done legally. He stood up and asked for a nurse. When she came he said - My Mom and I need to see a doctor. They stated dr leave at 5 and so he felt defeated and sat back down. A few min later he started breathing heavy and crying - feeling trapped again. He said several people have been discharged since he arrived and he is scared he will be there forever. He is very overwhelmed now with FEELING and discomfort from being 'trapped' with NOTHING to do. He mentioned he still needs drug treatment - which is why some of these outbursts are happening...he is reacting as an addict that has no idea how to cope so he cries and breaths hard then asks for meds to help prevent a panic attack...throws a fit til he gets medicated (Emergency meds). Nurses have to medicate when he gets punching walls or violent because if he hurts some one then police have to be called. Personally I believe what I was watching was Kameron as a little boy who knows how to work it til he gets his way. Plus some foggy and unclear thinking still...but not a mental patient...more behavioral - which is covered in drug treatment.


I talked to the nurse after 10 - he (nurse) agreed that Kam is in need for drug treatment - he said they have a chemical dependency group next door and that in the unit he is in that they also have daily groups for the same. He said now that Kam is more stable and psychosis has not been an issue - that he would recommend that Kameron take part in those groups. I was SOOOOO glad to hear that!!!! He also said that when Kam starts to 'panic' or throw a fit (as I call it) then he would try talking firm to him like I did a few times tonight saying - Kameron! Just breath and calm yourself. You are frustrated but need to appropriately work through that. This behavior will only keep you here longer!!!! It worked when I saw it starting...but then again I am MOMMY still and he knows how to push my buttons and I know which ones are his off switches too :)


My plan for the day on Wed...call AGAIN and AGAIN AND AGAIN to request conversation with the doctor...and will be pushing hard for him to get into the chemical dependency group!!!! frustrated I am sure...poor Kam is active and there is NOTHING to do but go down one short hall way and around a circle of waiting room chairs. He had the Newsweek magazine memorized!!!!


When I left he was very sad and feeling super trapped. The fact that he is standing up and asking for doctors and nurses now is a huge thing!!! He is speaking up some for himself although still not super confident in doing that so acts out when no results. I asked the nurse to note for doctor my comments about needing drug treatment to start NOW and to try to talk him down from the panic attacks rather than medicate all the time. Mom and I are heading that way to stay in a hotel tomorrow night for the early morning through hearing. I plan to be a crazy calling fool tomorrow if someone doesn't return a call soon!!!!


Overall - good night with him. Much more like the old days with him!!!! Now I see issues are mostly drug treatment ready!! :)


Please pray for that he continues to stabilize and that he gets some drug treatment or tomorrow!!!!

2 comments:

  1. so glad to see that things are starting to return to some kind of normal. Will continue prayers that Kam gets to move ahead with the drug counseling.

    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very heartening, Kelly! You are such a strong mom to be able to take care of moving him out of his apt while dealing with the emotional trauma.
    This may sound weird, but I'm in daily contact with a bunch of recovering addicts (of all kinds) who are all escapees from a cult-like sobriety program. There are so many good ones, and I can give you recommendations in Texas (if that's where you are still), but please avoid anything bearing the "enthusiastic sobriety program" label.
    I continue to pray for you & Kam daily.

    ReplyDelete