Friday, March 11, 2011

Catching Up on Updates

So much transpires in a day and now I have gone a couple days without an update...Hope I can recall the past couple days without a long dissertation again...

Tuesday was a full day of calls for me - I had originally planned to leave to head Kam's way that morning with Mom to set up at hotel and make my calls from there...but the usual lately is that nothing goes as planned...so I was home til about 4:15 on the phone ALL DAY. 

Talk to County Attorney at DA's office - The Doctor has stated he wants to release Kameron on "FURLOUGH" status. Basically committing him but releasing him to follow dr orders or get additional care and if within 90 days if he does not follow orders then they can take him back into their care or state facility. It was explained to me that this is a 'safety net' as if he does need emergency care again that he will not be denied and will be taken back in to where he was originally taken on Wed night.

The recommendation is both good and a relief and also of great concern to me.
Good - he can now go get the drug treatment he needs and we can do in an inpatient facility. I believe we can determine this on our own with insurance.
Bad - he will be COMMITTED ON FURLOUGH...which would work like a probation would and he would then have the lifelong tag of being committed. Just as with criminal courts - probation does not clear the charge just clears the punishment.

As family we have committed already to Kameron's future and treatment. He does not need the mental 'commitment' on his back for life. He is 21 years old and no past history of mental illness, just drug abuse. Doctor and I are in agreement that his psychiatric needs are due to drug induced psychosis, not mental illness and overtime this should level out.  He doesn't deserve the lifelong stigma that goes along with this - he already has a battle to fight with 'recovering drug addict'.  I discussed this with his attorney and she agreed.

Mom and I went to visit Kameron.  It was a nice visit and he was excited that court was coming tomorrow.  His disposition was generally happy and calm for the most part.  He was really showing love and compassion to all those other patients around us that were without family visiting.  He introduced us to every person there and invited them to sit with us.  He was a gentle friend to an elderly lady named Ann.  He complimented her eyes, her hair, trying to make her smile.  He comforted her as she talked about her fears.  He was polite and pulled people in to our talks that we sitting across the room alone.  I was so happy to see his HEART again and could feel that his compassion was genuine.  He was feeling hopeful about leaving and felt bad for the ones that would remain.  They all hugged him and commented to me and Mom about how good of a boy he is and he made everyone smile.  But when it was time to leave he broke down.  Begging us to take him - crying and panicking again.  We told him that court was in the morning and we would know more then.
It was such a hard night at this point because I became very concerned about how quickly his stable appearance changes. He is still getting emergency meds to calm him TWICE DAILY and I dreaded him being released and then sent away AGAIN from a treatment center that will not take him with psychiatric instability. 

Moving ahead to court hearing on Thursday -
Mom and I got a room near the hospital for court the next morning.  I am so proud of the DEAL I got!!!  We sat at Panera Bread at 9pm on our laptops searching for a room with a decent rate in a good part of the town near by.  I named my own price on Priceline.com and booked it.  We stayed in a $229 a night room at the downtown Hilton for $69!  It was Mom's birthday and I was so happy to have a nice room with her instead of Laquinta or Days Inn in icky-ville.  The bathroom had Crabtree and Evelyn soaps, lotions and bath gels so I presented the lovely assortment to Mom as her birthday gift! :)  She was such a good sport.  Our beds were amazing and room was so nice - we slept well from about 11:30 til 6:30 - and headed to court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment